Ribbs on Larson: “All you can do is show atonement” | Diecast CraZy - Discussion Forums for True Collectors

Ribbs on Larson: “All you can do is show atonement” Ribbs on Larson: “All you can do is show atonement”

Discussion in 'NASCAR® Racing' started by Bandit33, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Bandit33

Bandit33 CraZy LuDiCrOuS

Feedback Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Mario Pancino
    eBay ID:
    skoal33fan
    Fav. Driver:
    Robby Gordon, Harry Gant, Kyle Larson
    Ribbs on Larson: “All you can do is show atonement”

By Robin Miller | 6 hours ago

Willy T. Ribbs has never met Kyle Larson, but he reached out to the embattled NASCAR driver on Thursday with a phone call and some words of encouragement.

“I just wanted to support him and find out what he’s thinking, and we had a good talk,” said Ribbs on the heels of the racial slur that cost Larson his job in NASCAR with Chip Ganassi Racing. “I know what setbacks are like and they hurt, and I’ve said some things I regret over the years. But I told him he wasn’t O.J. and he didn’t kill anybody – he just hurt some feelings and they can be repaired.

“I told him it wasn’t the end of his career, it just set it back a little bit.”

Three days removed from the firestorm that followed Larson using the N word to a friend during an iRacing event, then being suspended by NASCAR and released by Ganassi, the first black driver in Indianapolis 500 history sounded compassionate.

“I felt for the kid because you could tell it wasn’t said with malice, and I don’t believe he’s a racist or I wouldn’t have called him,” said Ribbs. “I told him nobody in racing understands the N word more than I do, and I think it was the first time he’s laughed in three days. But there’s the GA version and there’s the deal-breaker version, and it was obvious which version this was.

“I get that the millennials use it a lot nowadays as a term of endearment and it’s slang, but Kyle knows he shouldn’t have said it and I doubt if he ever does again.”

Ribbs was asked if he gave Larson any advice?

“I just told him to keep being a good father and husband, and people will forgive you,” he replied. “Kids make mistakes, and all you can do is show atonement. Yes this is serious, but it’s not the end of the world. I don’t think he needs to go out into the Afro-American communities or go speak to groups, and I told him he was welcome to hang out with me some night and we’ll drive around in my truck and discuss cultures. Right now he just needs to take NASCAR’s diversity program.”

On which he got a head start Wednesday night.

“Kyle said his parents rented ‘Uppity’ and told him to sit down and don’t move,” said Ribbs, speaking of the well-received documentary on Netflix about his racing career, “I told him that was a good start.”

Ribbs on Larson: “All you can do is show atonement”

FFighter_21 and Nascar24 like this.
  2. WILD BILL II

WILD BILL II HE SAID HE WAS SORRY!

Feedback Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    WILLIAM J PETERSON
    Fav. Driver:
    JEFF GORDON
    What in the hell does he mean by a "GA" version of the word? It's either bad all the time, or it's not. That's the total hypocrisy that's going on here.

3. Matt9975

Matt9975 CraZy Legend

Feedback Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Matt
    eBay ID:
    mjc6359
    Fav. Driver:
    Jeff Gordon but root for several others as well.
    This is how his reputation gets rebuilt. Both Willy and Bubba have talked to Kyle and they know he is sorry for what he did. Willy said it best. This is repairable. He said something stupid just like everyone else has. He did not kill anyone.

iatse201, Nascar24 and FFighter_21 like this.
  4. FFighter_21

FFighter_21 #1 "BLANIAC"

Feedback Rating - 100%
    114   0   1
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Ken King
    Fav. Driver:
    Dave,Ryan & Dale Blaney,Tyler Reddick, Cale Conley
    I agree it's a bad this to say, and everyone acts like in NASCAR this is typical behavior. If they would examine every other sport, especially the NBA, they'd see a total reversal, the African Americans talking that way about the Caucasian players. It was a mistake, but on the other hand it happens all the time. That doesn't make it right, BUT it's not Armageddon.
    I feel for him, but then I'd feel for Bubba even more if it happened to him. A mistake is a mistake, if the apology is honest and sincere, and I believe his was he should be forgiven, and Bubba and Willy T. forgive him. There are bigger issues at hand now, so let's deal w/them and let Kyle get on w/his life. Whoever signs him next is getting a bargain that fell in their lap, and soon this will be long forgotten.

iatse201, Nascar24 and Bandit33 like this.
  5. Bandit33

Bandit33 CraZy LuDiCrOuS

Feedback Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Mario Pancino
    eBay ID:
    skoal33fan
    Fav. Driver:
    Robby Gordon, Harry Gant, Kyle Larson
    I may be mistaken, but I think the "GA" refers to the word ending in "ga" vs "ger". While both are bad, the "ger" version is considered much worse as that is the one racists use (I am not saying Kyle is a racist).

WILD BILL II likes this.
  6. iatse201

iatse201 CraZy Legend

Feedback Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    donny
    eBay ID:
    iatse201
    Fav. Driver:
    SMOKE kyle larson eric jones
    That was cool Willy reach out to him Kyle will be back it was a mistake let's move on

FFighter_21 and WILD BILL II like this.
  7. Texas3

Texas3 just old school

0   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Chris
    Fav. Driver:
    Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, Eddie Money Winston Cup
    He will do his penance, then go to Stewart -Haas............

8. Jman54

Jman54 #54Swag

Feedback Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Jesse Jordan
    Fav. Driver:
    Joey Logano, Noah Gragson, Dale Jr