Mental Toughness Fuels Sargeant in Truck Debut | Diecast CraZy - Discussion Forums for True Collectors

Mental Toughness Fuels Sargeant in Truck Debut

Discussion in 'NASCAR® Racing' started by Dale3DaleJr88, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Dale3DaleJr88

Dale3DaleJr88 AKA Leadfoot CraZy Admin

Feedback Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    John
    Fav. Driver:
    Dale Earnhardt,Dale Jr and Kevin Harvick
    [​IMG]

By Kelly Crandall

BRISTOL, Tenn. – @DaltonSargeant was nervous all throughout Tuesday as he hit the track for the first time at Bristol Motor Speedway.
    Making his Camping World Truck Series debut for Wauters Motorsports, Sargeant spent the night thinking it through. By the time he arrived on Wednesday, he had a refreshed attitude. Before the green flag dropped on the UNOH 200, the 17-year-old, who started 18th, said, “I can do this.”
    And Sargeant did. The No. 5 Galt Toyota came home with a 10th place finish.
    “My expectation was hopefully come in here and run in the top-10 in my first Camping World Truck Series start, and that’s what we were able to do,” Sargeant said afterward. “Just happy that we fulfilled our expectations and now we just got to move on and see what we can do for the next race.”
    Once the green flag dropped on the 202-lap event, Sargeant seemed to stabilize inside the top-20 as he went to school. His huge learning curve included taking mental notes at 16 seconds a lap as he watched veterans like @KyleBusch. The way in Busch and others tackled the half-mile concrete oval was noticeable to Sargeant, and he picked up different lanes while watching how Busch, in particular, would back up his entry to the corner.
    Those quick lessons came in handy towards the end. After the race was red flagged 45 minutes for rain, Sargeant used the final 30 laps implementing what he learned. Focusing on the drive off the corner to pick up positions, Sargeant broke into the top-15 as things began to get hairy.
    “Overall I can’t be more than thankful for everybody at Richie Wauters Motorsports for our No. 5 Galt Toyota Tundra dialed in this evening. Just overall it was a huge learning process going out there and running the entire race,” Sargeant said.” Got all the laps finished and ended bringing it home in the top-10. Just can’t be more than happy with that finish for my first Camping World Truck Series start, especially coming to a place like Bristol where it’s absolutely crazy.
    A caution with five laps to go set up a green-white-checkered finish.
    “At the end of the race there it got pretty hectic, three-wide at a few points, but at the end of the day just really happy and learning a lot throughout the entire race. That was one of the important things to me coming in was just to learn as much as I can racing around some of these guys and all these veterans. Guys like Kyle Busch and Ryan Blaney. It’s just been a really cool experience, and I can’t be more than thankful.”
    Additional Truck Series races this season are to be determined for Sargeant, who currently runs full-time in the K&N Pro Series East. But a run like Wednesday he believes will certainly help his cause.
    Not a bad first try for a youngster at a tough old short track.
    “I thought it was awesome,” Sargeant said of his impressions. “The rain always had us a little bit nervous there but at the end of the day we were able to get the whole race in. All 200 laps and just did a really good job keeping all the fenders on the car until the last corner. Brought it home in 10th and can’t be more than happy.”

Mental Toughness Fuels Sargeant in Truck Debut – POPULAR SPEED

2. jkarpinski14

jkarpinski14 Closeted Logano Fan

Feedback Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Jonah Karpinski
    Fav. Driver:
    SMOKE, David Gilliland, Carl Edwards
    Good for him to do well in his first race out!