IndyCar star Wilson succumbs to Pocono head injury | Diecast CraZy - Discussion Forums for True Collectors

IndyCar star Wilson succumbs to Pocono head injury

Discussion in 'IndyCar' started by Dale3DaleJr88, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Dale3DaleJr88

Dale3DaleJr88 AKA Leadfoot CraZy Admin

Name:
    John
    Fav. Driver:
    Dale Earnhardt,Dale Jr and Kevin Harvick
    [​IMG]

By: Charles Bradley, Editor in Chief

IndyCar racer Justin Wilson has sadly passed away following his accident in Sunday’s 500-mile race at Pocono. He was 37.

Wilson succumbed to head injuries sustained on lap 180 when he struck the nose section from the debris of Sage Karam’s car, which had crashed out of the lead of the race ahead of him.
    Wilson was unconscious when the Holmatro safety team arrived at the scene and was immediately airlifted to a local hospital, Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital in Allentown, Pa.
    He was listed in critical condition and in a coma, from which he never woke.

Obituary:

IndyCar/Wilson family statement

Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Co., the parent of INDYCAR and Indianapolis Motor Speedway:
    "On behalf of the Wilson family, it's with profound sadness that we announce Justin Wilson died this evening at Lehigh Valley Health Network Hospital as a result of the head injury he sustained at the Pocono event.
    "He passed away in the company of his family. Brother Stefan, his loving, wonderful wife Julia and his parents Keith and Lynne. Justin's ability to drive a race car was matched by his unwavering kindness, character and humility which made him one of the most respected members of the paddock.
    "As we know, the racing industry is one big family. Our focus now is on rallying around Justin's family during this difficult time. Anyone who follows our sport knows that Justin is one of the most well-respected and highly-regarded people in the entire paddock. He will be missed."
    Miles went on to express sincere thanks on behalf of Justin's family and the Andretti Autosport team to the Holmatro safety team and other skilled medical professionals who attempted to save his life.
    His family released their own statement, saying: "Justin was a loving father and devoted husband, as well as a highly competitive racing driver who was respected by his peers.
    "The family would like to thank the staff at the Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital, Pocono Raceway, Andretti Autosport, and the Verizon IndyCar Series as well as the entire racing community for the amazing outpouring of support from fans around the world."

A hugely-successful racing career

Wilson won three races during his IndyCar career, the first coming at Detroit in 2008 for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing.
    He also won two races for the tiny Dale Coyne Racing operation – at Watkins Glen in 2009 and the Texas event in 2012, which was his first triumph on ovals.
    He also finished in the top five in the 2013 Indy 500.
    Wilson started racing in 1995, in Formula Vauxhall Junior, and was also a multiple race winner in Formula Vauxhall with Paul Stewart Racing. He won the 1998 Formula Palmer Audi championship, and progressed to FIA Formula 3000, winning the title in 2001 with Nordic Racing.
    Wilson made his Formula 1 debut in 2003 with Minardi. Although good results were difficult to achieve with the tiny squad, his performances were good enough to earn him a call-up to the Jaguar team to replace Antonio Pizzonia for the final five races of the season.
    Wilson scored his first, and only, F1 World Championship point at that year’s United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis when he finished eighth.
    After losing his drive to the well-funded Christian Klien for 2004, Wilson switched his attention to the United States, contesting the Champ Car World Series.
    He made his debut with Conquest Racing before moving on to a highly successful partnership with the RuSPORT team.
    He would score four race wins in Champ Cars at RuSPORT: two in 2005 (Toronto and Mexico City) plus one at Edmonton in 2006 and another at Assen in ’07. He subsequently moved to IndyCars.
    The Sheffield-born driver won the 2012 Daytona 24 Hour sportscar classic with Michael Shank Racing, partnering AJ Allmendinger, Oswaldo Negri and John Pew. In a varied career he also raced in the Le Mans 24 Hours, Formula E, V8 Supercars, World Series by Nissan, FIA GT and the American Le Mans Series.
    Wilson had been on the sidelines at the start of this season, but Andretti Autosport put together a part-time campaign and was highly-regarded by engine supplier Honda. He finished second in the recent Mid-Ohio event.

IndyCar star Wilson succumbs to Pocono head injury

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    inj9696 likes this.
  2. Dale3DaleJr88

Dale3DaleJr88 AKA Leadfoot CraZy Admin

Name:
    John
    Fav. Driver:
    Dale Earnhardt,Dale Jr and Kevin Harvick
    IndyCar driver Justin Wilson dies of head injury from Sunday crash

[​IMG]

Justin Wilson, the 37-year-old Verizon IndyCar Series driver from Great Britain, has died from injuries suffered in Sunday’s ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway. Wilson’s death was announced by Hulman & Company CEO Mark Miles at a press conference at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Monday at 9 p.m. ET.
    "This is a monumentally sad day for INDYCAR and the motorsports community as a whole," Miles said. "Justin's elite ability to drive a race car was matched by his unwavering kindness, character and humility - which is what made him one of the most respected members of the paddock. As we know, the racing industry is one big family, and our efforts moving forward will be focused on rallying around Justin's family to ensure they get the support they need during this unbelievably difficult time.
    “He was surrounded by his family and I want to express sincere thanks to his family. As you know the sport of IndyCar racing is one big family. The outpouring of support has been amazing.”
    Ed Carpenter spoke behalf of the drivers to offer his condolences.
    “He was great at his craft but beyond that he was a great guy,” Carpenter said.
    Wilson was struck by debris from a single-car crash on Lap 180 of the 200-lap race on the 2.5-mile triangular oval. Wilson was attended to by the Holmatro Safety Team and airlifted to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest in Allentown, Pa.
    A native of Sheffield, England, Wilson recorded seven career Indy car victories - the most recent in 2012 at Texas Motor Speedway - and eight pole starts in 174 races. He totaled 711 career laps led, including two in the Aug. 23 race. He competed in Formula One in 2003 with Minardi and Jaguar, and his initial F1 points were scored that year in the U.S. Grand Prix on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course. He co-drove a Michael Shank Racing sports car entry to the overall victory in the 50th anniversary Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2012.
    Wilson, a road cycling and mountain biking enthusiast, also was an ambassador for dyslexia, a learning disorder characterized by difficulty reading that challenged him as a youth. He often would speak to groups at the racetrack and visit schools near INDYCAR race venues.
    Wilson was in a coma in the intensive care unit at Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital in Allentown, Pa., after sustaining a severe head injury during Sunday's event at Pocono Raceway. Efforts to save him were unsuccessful and he died Monday evening.
    Wilson was driving a part-time schedule for Andretti Autosport after a full-season effort fell through because of lack of sponsorship. He started and finished in 18th position in the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, started sixth and finished 21st in the 99th Indianapolis 500.
    Wilson did not rejoin the series until the ABC Supply 250 at the Milwaukee Mile on July 12, as he was happy to be able to finish out the second half of the season for Andretti Autosport. He finish 18th at Milwaukee, 17th at Iowa Speedway on July 18 before scoring an impressive second-place finish to Graham Rahal in the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio on Aug. 2.
    Sage Karam lost control of his car coming out of the exit of Turn 1 and slammed hard into the wall while leading the race with 21 laps to go ending a dramatic storyline for the 20-year-old driver from nearby Nazareth, Pennsylvania. Wilson was also involved in the crash with debris scattering across the track. It appeared part of the nose that had broken loose off Karam’s Chevrolet hit Wilson, rendering him unconscious before he hit the inside wall.
    It took an extensive amount of time for the Holmatro Safety Crew to get the driver out of the car because of the severity of his injuries. He was airlifted by helicopter ambulance to the hospital in Allentown, Pa.
    Karam was released from the same hospital on Monday afternoon after tests showed he had no broken bones in his foot.
    Karam was transported by ground to the hospital following the crash on Lap 180. According to Dr. Terry Trammell, INDYCAR medical consultant, CT scans revealed no broken bones for the Chip Ganassi Racing Teams driver from Nazareth, Pa. Karam, 20, will be re-evaluated before being cleared to drive.
    "First and foremost, I just hope everything is OK with Justin Wilson," Karam said upon his release before Wilson’s death was announced. "Justin is the priority and everything else is secondary at this point. As far as the race, we had a really great race car and I felt comfortable and in a position to be in striking distance for the win. The car just unfortunately came around on me in the middle of Turn 1 and I had no indication it was about to go."
    Wilson was considered one of the most talented drivers in the Verizon IndyCar Series because he was competitive on all types of circuits. In 2009, he drove under-funded Dale Coyne Racing to its first-ever victory when Wilson won at Watkins Glen International. In 2012, he drove Dale Coyne Racing’s Honda to another win in the Firestone 600 at Texas Motor Speedway.
    Wilson was able to get the most out of his race car and that is why he was a competitive force even on smaller teams. His goal was to get a full-time ride at Andretti Autosport – the top Honda team in IndyCar – because he believed it would be his best chance at winning the Indianapolis 500 and a Verizon IndyCar Series championship. Instead, he had to settle for part-time duty in an effort partially funded by Honda.
    There were times during IndyCar’s long offseason that a new deal on a winning team was all but completed. Problem is, they never came to fruition.
    “It’s just been a roller-coaster of an offseason,” Wilson told FOXSports.com at Barber Motorsports Park in March while IndyCar had its preseason open test. “There have been three occasions where I’ve thought, ‘Great, we’re all set. Next week we will get a deal sorted for a full season and it will be great. It will be perfect.’ Then next week comes and the deal collapsed. It’s been one of those off-seasons where you have a couple good days and then a couple bad days – this cycle or up and down, up and down.
    “It just didn’t happen. It didn’t work out like I was hoping. There have been three times with two different teams where I thought we were good to go. And then something happened and two days later the deal was off. The sponsor was all set; looking good and it fell through.
    “It’s frustrating,” Wilson admitted. “It ticks you off but what can you do? You can jump up and down and scream about it but at the end of the day they either have the money, found the money, got the sponsor or they are making it happen to get to the track. What I’m working on is to try to be less dependent on the situation and be in the right place at the right time. I’m trying to get things sorted and try to take my own deals to the table.
    “It’s just a hard world we live in right now and it’s not easy.”
    Wilson once had investors who bought shares of stock in his career and that helped fund him from one series to another with stops in Formula One, Champ Car and IndyCar. But that arrangement has dissolved and Wilson is in charge of his own destiny.
    “That ended at the end of 2012,” Wilson explained. “It was a 10-year process so whatever was saved up got paid back to the shareholders. That was Dec. 31, 2012. That allowed me to change my approach and try to look at the overall picture of things. I think about me as a driver and my career as opposed to what is the best financial decision for the investors? I don’t have to wear that hat any more. Now, I can think what is my best chance to win the Indy 500? That has allowed me to change my approach and evaluate things.
    “It’s hard to find the right guy at the right time and who is interested and tell them spend $2 million to $5 million on IndyCar and it will be great. The odds of that are one in 5000 so there are a lot more doors to knock on.”
    Honda and team owner Michael Andretti finally opened one of those doors for Wilson earlier this season on a part-time basis. And after nearly winning at Mid-Ohio the former Formula One driver for Jaguar who finished in the points in the 2003 United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis appeared primed to get into victory lane before the end of the season.
    Justin's family released the following statement:

With deep sadness, the parents of Justin Wilson, Keith and Lynne, his wife Julia, and his brother Stefan share the news that Justin passed away today after succumbing to injuries suffered during the Verizon IndyCar event at Pocono Raceway on Sunday, August 23.
    Justin was a loving father and devoted husband, as well as a highly competitive racing driver who was respected by his peers.
    The family would like to thank the staff at the Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital, Pocono Raceway, Andretti Autosport, and the Verizon IndyCar Series as well as the entire racing community for the amazing outpouring of support from fans around the world.
    The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Wilson Children’s Fund care of INDYCAR.

Wilson Children's Fund
    C/O INDYCAR
    4551 West 16th Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46222

IndyCar Justin Wilson dies

3. Frank4202

Frank4202 CraZy Senior

Name:
    Frank
    eBay ID:
    frank24fan
    Fav. Driver:
    Jeff Gordon
    That's sad but you knew it was going to be bad when you saw how high the debris went after hitting him. F1's Massa was out for months from a spring, a piece of nose cone was bound to be worse.

4. Heather14

Heather14 CraZy Veteran

Name:
    Heather
    Fav. Driver:
    Tony Stewart
    So sad prayers to his family and the racing family.

5. jkarpinski14

jkarpinski14 Closeted Logano Fan

Name:
    Jonah Karpinski
    Fav. Driver:
    SMOKE, David Gilliland, Carl Edwards
    I just can't believe this actually happened. After Wheldon, I was hoping to never encounter a situation like this ever again.

6. ThePiedPiper

ThePiedPiper Classic DieCast Collecting

Name:
    DJ Craze
    Fav. Driver:
    ReganSmith,MTJ,Crafton, JJ48,Kenseth,Dixon,C.Herta
    Just awful. Such a terrible accident. Godspeed Justin.

7. dae8604

dae8604 CraZy Veteran

Name:
    Derrick
    Fav. Driver:
    McMurray, Elliott, Harvick, Blaney, Bubba
    That's the bad part they didn't think of this happening, with Weldon's they were figuring if they can keep the car on the ground (which they have struggled with still) that what happened to Weldon wouldn't happen again. It truly is sad and surprising that drivers getting hit with debris doesn't happen more often. It's just horrible because what do you do to prevent anything like this from happening again? Very sad to hear and horrible for the Wilson Family.

jkarpinski14 likes this.
  8. Frank4202

Frank4202 CraZy Senior

Name:
    Frank
    eBay ID:
    frank24fan
    Fav. Driver:
    Jeff Gordon
    This sucks. Like the saying goes though "when its your time, its your time."

9. Erikjef24

Erikjef24 Gordon to Blaney

Name:
    Erik
    eBay ID:
    erikjef24
    Fav. Driver:
    Jeff Gordon
    The worst part about being a racing fan is having to deal with tragedy. So sad. I watched Earnhardt's, Wheldon's, Bianchi's, and now Wilson's crashes, I really hope there won't be any more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

10. Christina87

Christina87 JEREMY MAYFIELD FAN FOREVER

Name:
    Christina C.
    Fav. Driver:
    J Mayfield, B Scott, B Vickers, C Edwards, J McMur
    I was there [​IMG] We were on the frontstretch before the start/finish line and couldn't see the wreck, but we saw safety vehicles and such and saw the helicopter take off.

I met Justin at around 10am yesterday morning. I only said "good luck" as I said to all of the drivers that I met, but he was very nice. I don't have a picture with him, but I will treasure that autograph for sure.

My heart breaks for his family and friends and his wife Julia, his 2 little girls (who are only 5 and 7) his brother Stefan, his parents, and his family, friends and loved ones are in my prayers.

RIP Justin Wilson

11. jolof96

jolof96 Super Grumpy

Name:
    Joshua W
    Fav. Driver:
    Kurt and Kyle Busch, Smoke, Brad K
    such a shame. us brits havent had much luck in indycar as of late......

RIP justin

12. KyBuschFan18

KyBuschFan18 #Champ18n

Name:
    Thomas
    Fav. Driver:
    Kyle Busch
    No one wants to ever see this happen, it's just a terrible tragedy. RIP Justin Wilson. Thoughts with his family.

13. MotorsportRevolution

MotorsportRevolution CraZy Veteran

Name:
    Seth Eggert
    eBay ID:
    set-egger
    Fav. Driver:
    Chase Elliott
    "Justin Wilson is not gone, he is simply just a lap ahead."

14. JohnnyNascar

JohnnyNascar CraZy Member

Name:
    John DiTucci
    eBay ID:
    johnditucci1
    Fav. Driver:
    Bill Elliott
    Race in Peace, Justin. You will be missed.

15. HinchFanatic

HinchFanatic CraZy Member

Name:
    Broderic Banta
    Fav. Driver:
    Dan Wheldon, Hinch, RHR, Regan Smith, Smoke, Rowdy
    The Racing Capital Of The World (Indianapolis)
    Some photos i took of Justin Wilson this year.
    084.JPG 064.JPG

461.JPG 384.JPG

MotorsportRevolution likes this.
  16. shields21

shields21 CraZy Legend

Name:
    Chris
    eBay ID:
    gordonsdupontflameschevy
    Fav. Driver:
    Jeff Gordon
    RIP Justin! Thoughts and Prayers for his family.

17. bumblebeetuna_304

bumblebeetuna_304 CraZy Senior

Name:
    Harrison
    Fav. Driver:
    Johnson, Truex Jr and Blaney
    We'll miss you Justin.