1:64 Help | Diecast CraZy - Discussion Forums for True Collectors

1:64 Help

Discussion in 'General NASCAR® Diecast' started by Soupjr48, May 4, 2020.

1. Soupjr48

Soupjr48 CraZy Veteran

Feedback Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Chris
    eBay ID:
    Sportsguy4827
    Fav. Driver:
    Jimmie Johnson
    What's going on everyone. I have attached an image and have a couple questions about it. Does anyone know what the numbers I have circled mean? Are these diecasts different from each other?

Attached Files:

Texas3 likes this.
  2. MOPARBOB

MOPARBOB MoPaROrNoCaR CraZy Admin

Feedback Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    MOPARBOB
    eBay ID:
    cuda360ci
    Fav. Driver:
    Richard Petty and the DODGE Boys
    Sequence numbers, I believe.

3. Soupjr48

Soupjr48 CraZy Veteran

Feedback Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Chris
    eBay ID:
    Sportsguy4827
    Fav. Driver:
    Jimmie Johnson
    Ah I see. So it’s the same diecast just in a different run? Similar to how nascar authentics had that bonus wave with some repeat cars a few years ago?

MOPARBOB likes this.
  4. MOPARBOB

MOPARBOB MoPaROrNoCaR CraZy Admin

Feedback Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    MOPARBOB
    eBay ID:
    cuda360ci
    Fav. Driver:
    Richard Petty and the DODGE Boys
    Yes I think that's right. RC did some weird stuff with multiple releases of the same car. Unfortunately, Pat Meyer isn't around anymore to ask directly.

Soupjr48 likes this.
  5. Bandit33

Bandit33 CraZy LuDiCrOuS

Feedback Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Mario Pancino
    eBay ID:
    skoal33fan
    Fav. Driver:
    Robby Gordon, Harry Gant, Kyle Larson
    I agree with Bob. I am fairly certain the first 2 numbers (03) are the year and the last 2 numbers (06 & 15) are the release sequence.

Soupjr48 and MOPARBOB like this.
  6. Firehawk2488

Firehawk2488 Stone Cold CraZy

0   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Mike
    Fav. Driver:
    All Time: Jeff Gordon, Current: Bubba Wallace
    As Bob said, RC often made multiple releases of the same car with their own sequence numbers, but they weren't really the same. If you look at the side of the car on the left (3-06), the Lowe's logo is very small. The one on the right (3-15) has a larger logo that stretches across the entire quarter panel. The 3-15 is a "corrected" variant that was released later in the year than the 3-06. If you look at Jimmie's actual 2003 car, you'll notice that the logo on the 3-15 car is much more accurate in dimensions than the 3-06 one.

Racing Champions did this a lot between 2000 to 2005 if I recall, but they were doing it before then as well. Back when there was competition in the NASCAR retail market (Winners Circle, Racing Champions, and Hot Wheels), everybody was trying to put product for the upcoming season out ASAP, so they would get very early approvals/renderings from teams the previous year and try to get stuff on the shelves long before the real cars even hit the track again. Teams would often change details of the actual paint scheme in that time frame, or sign new sponsors, or sponsors would change logos or branding, and contingency sponsors would often leave or sign with NASCAR in that time frame as well. So what you picked up in January/February was usually only moderately accurate to real car because everyone just wanted to push product out ASAP. However, Racing Champions was really the only brand that attempted to do a lot of mid-season corrections after the early waves.

There are some notable ones that I remember:
    - Jeff Burton's 2000 car was re-released with the orange Winston No Bull markings and other updated details.
    - In both 2002 and 2005, RC made two different runs of the Hendrick cars. Quaker State changed their logo over the off-season in both of those years, so RC did second runs with the corrected logo and corrected other details on a few of the cars as well.
    - In 2001, Mobil 1 changed Jeremy Mayfield's paint scheme before the season started, so all of the Mayfield cars from every brand that came out early were inaccurate. RC released the correct paint scheme later.
    - In 2004, RC got approvals made before the new Nextel Cup Series logo was released, so the early cars had no series logo. They re-released some of the cars with the Nextel Cup logo on them later.
    - Also in 2004, they initially released Scott Riggs's car with a Pontiac body. This was supposedly because MB2 Motorsports was planning on just using up their inventory of Pontiac bodies even though GM was pulling support for Pontiac. They decided to just only run Chevys anyway (probably to get more support from GM), so RC made the car with a Chevy body later.

Texas3, Soupjr48 and MOPARBOB like this.
  7. Soupjr48

Soupjr48 CraZy Veteran

Feedback Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Start a Conversation
    Create SaleCreate Trade
    Classified Listings
    Sale Agreements

Name:
    Chris
    eBay ID:
    Sportsguy4827